Renewal and Cancellation of EP

///Renewal and Cancellation of EP
Renewal and Cancellation of EP2016-08-21T22:06:53+00:00

Renewal of Employment Pass

  • Key Points
    • Employment Pass Online account holders can apply to renew an Employment Pass 6 months prior to the expiration of the pass.
    • Those who do not have an EP Online account need to start applying for renewal when they receive the renewal forms in the main which are generally available 3 months before the pass expires. The application must reach the Ministry Of Manpower at least 2 weeks prior the pass expiration.
    • The pass can be renewed by the employer and appointed employment agent (EA).
    • The duration of the renewed pass is upto 3 years. The validity of the pass holder’s passport has no effect on the duration of the renewed pass.
    • Renewal procedure may take 7 working days by EP Online and 5 weeks by manual renewal.
    • Applications are evaluated against current eligibility criteria hence renewal is not guaranteed.
    • If the deadline is missed, application for a new pass will have to be filed. Hence it is advised to apply for renewal early. The holder shall not lose the remaining days in the current pass as the duration of the renewed pass will start when the current pass expires.
    • The Employment Pass (sponsorship) holders shall have to apply manually.
  • Procedure for application filing
    • For EP Online account holders, log in to EP Online to apply for renewal.
    • After receiving the renewal forms, complete the form and mail it to Ministry of Manpower along with the all supporting documents mentioned in the form. The outcome letter will be mailed.


Cancellation of Employment Pass

  • Cancellation is required in the following cases:
    • The pass must be cancelled within 1 week of termination of the pass holder’s employment
    • The Employment Pass expires.
  • Cancellation is not required if the pass holder becomes a Singapore permanent resident. It will be automatically cancelled by Ministry of Manpower.
  • The cancellation can be done by the employer and appointed employment agent (EA).
  • Cancellation is immediate.
  • All related Dependant Passes and Long Term Visit Passes are also cancelled along with the EP.
  • Before the pass holder leaves the job, she/he must seek tax clearance from the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS).
  • Before departure, the pass holder can issue a 30-day Short Term Visit Pass (STVP) to stay in Singapore. The STVP must be submitted to the immigration officer when leaving the country.


Procedure for cancellation

  • Log in to EP Online and cancel the pass.
  • Issue a 30-day Short Term Visit Pass if the pass holder will still be in Singapore when the pass is cancelled.
  • Get a copy of the cancellation acknowledgement letter and Short Term Visit Pass
  • Return the original pass within 1 week of cancellation by :
    • Mailing it to Ministry of Manpower, 18 Havelock Road, Singapore 059764
    • Dropping it in the deposit box at the Employment Pass Service Centre
  • Check if MOM has received it by using the “card return” function on EP Online. The “card return” function can be used to register queries regarding the inability to return the card.